Thursday 17 April 2008

Busy Times, Part One - Thursday

I booked a few days off work to try and get the allotment into shape....today was the first shift....

I started my day off in luxurious style, cooking myself a Full English, fantabulous. Then off to the allotment. It was lovely and sunny, but windy, but much better than sleet or hailstones. So what did I achieve today? When I go through it, it doesn't sound like much, but I was working from 9.30 to 5, with one hour break in the middle. This is What We Did On Our Holiday:

1. Dug out the leftover parsnips.

2. Dug out the leftover brussels sprouts.

2a. Dinnertime at The Woolpack. There's method to the madness though, as an hour after the photo was taken, the lager became compost accelerant, and The Sun became compost.
3. Finished digging another 3 metre wide section, ready for root veg.

4. Prepared soil and planted onion seeds.

5. Prepared soil and planted lettuce seeds.

6. Started weeding and thinning out the raspberries. Got about two thirds of the way along the row.

Doesn't sound like a day's work does it. But here are a few pics from today:

This is two barrows full of evicted brussels and excess raspberries.

This is the legume patch. The dark strip is where the onion seeds are sown,, and to the right are the lettuces. They're only sown quarter way across for a reason! Sow them at 3/4 week intervals to maintain a nice, regular supply.

So right now I am left with this, looking at the good end:


And the bad end:

No comments: