Sunday 13 April 2008

We're Back!

Yes, back on the allotment!

It’s been ages since I was last here. The weather has been “changeable” (i.e. crap) on the occasions I’ve had to get on the plot. Am I a fair weather gardener? Guess so, I just can’t see any point in digging when it’s sleeting or hailing.

So. Today I was expecting a jungle, nay, a tropical rain forest. I was pleasantly surprised. The bits I had dug over were looking, well, dug over. The bits I hadn’t have weeds in abundance. I can handle that. I’d built my lack of visits up to a BIG problem, and the plot had grown, meaning that in my head I had to cultivate an area half the size of Norfolk. Nowt of the sort. It was manageable - and later in the week it will be managed.

The section nearest the shed is earmarked for “Legumes”. Get me! And after a good rake it actually looked like somewhere good to plant seeds. Right next to the fence is where the runner beans will go, and beside them, peas. So I planted the peas today. I shuffled up the row, zig-zagging the peas, and then gently covered and firmed them down. I watered them in too. Apparently that’s a good thing.


But. The one thing that did make my day was seeing our garlic shoots. Me and Sam stuck them in amid terribly windy and rainy weather a month ago. And today I found that they’re going for it. Lots of shoots, from 1cm to 5cm tall. That gave me a massive boost, something we’ve planted is growing! Nothing as encouraging as seeing some success.



This photo is our watering point. It's meant to be a secure little jetty, but in conversation I've been told that it's sunk a lot since last year.....so it was very gingerly that I filled the watering can up......



Eventually I heard the Grammar School clock chiming “pub o’clock” and packed up the tools.
And headed off for a pint.

2 comments:

Lilly said...

Hiya Simon R, I just happened on to your very enjoyable blog by sheer accident! I really enjoyed reading your anecdotes on gardening life; it looks well fun! Good luck on your gardening endeavours. I'll come by and read up on how you and Sam are getting on. Veg gardening isn't something I've tried, but I do love giving my floral garden a go! Best of Luck!
A fellow Blogger

Eddie 2-Sox said...

Hi Steve & Lilly, and welcome. We're beginners as you can tell, so expect some disasters sometime soon!