Monday 5 May 2008

First The Good News!

Good and bad from the allotment on Sunday....

First the good bits - things are growing!

The garlic is still going great guns and shows no sign of stopping. I have no idea how big it grows above the ground, or what exactly is happening below the surface, but it looks OK so far (can you tell I'm a beginner?)....

The first lettuce seedlings have appeared (above)....

Ditto the onions.....

And the peas are doing well. Some doing better than others, judging by this photo....
Young Callum wandered onto the plot for a chat, and gave me a trayful of Sweet Pea plants, what an absolute star that young man is. Tomorrow's a big day for him too, as he's taking delivery of 100 - yes, one hundred - new chickens, which are costing him £1 apiece. If that means he's going to produce more eggs like the ones from last week, that's fantastic news!
And as a bonus, when I got to The Woolpack, Old Bob informed me that he'd won a competition on local radio station KLFM, and won £100 worth of vouchers for a garden centre. What's so interesting about that? He hasn't got a garden and is willing to sell them to me for £50. Bobby dazzler! In effect that means half price stuff for me and £50 for Old Bob - everyone's a winner!
I hope tomorrow gives good weather, as I intend to finish preeping The Bad Strip I've been on and do some more planting.

No comments: