Thursday 29 May 2008

Introducing Mister Robin

I have a new workmate at plot 1265 - he's not very talkative though, and doesn't talk about football much. His brain is, literally, the size of a pea.....oh right, I understand, he's probably a Man U fan.....
There's a robin joining me on the garden these days, which is absolutely lovely! He's really friendly and comes closer than you'd expect a wild bird to - but won't pose for a photo. The two pics here are - really! - the best I've managed to take so far. Above he's silhouetted nicely, below you can maybe just make out a blob of his dazzling red chest as he's sitting on top of the pea protection. (Not that there are any pea plants to protect....).

I had a productive time on the garden today, and planted half a row of swede seeds. The other half will go in in a month's time. I also did a lot of weeding and hoeing, which is completely un-newsworthy. The picture of my Little Gem lettuces shows a ton of weeds which are now dispatched to the great allotment in the sky. When I was at the allotment you can see the next 2 metres of tiny lettuce seedlings poking their heads out, not sure if you can here.

Eventually occasional sprinklings of rain decided to change to a constant fall, so I called it a day. Feeling right now? Good, actually. I can't do it all this year, and I'm not even trying to. But if I get some edible produce I'll be delighted.

No comments: