Monday 19 May 2008

Slugs!

Slimy, disgusting, revolting pests have been nibbling my plants. And I'm not talking about traffic wardens. How Very Dare They!

Our first pest problem, slugs. Our developing Pea plants and the Sweet Peas have been nibbled severely by the disgusting gits. Where there should be nice round-ish leaves, there are leaves resembling Holly leaves, with dozens of tiny bite marks around the edges. I am Pissed Off! It's war. Plans are being drawn up as we speak (well, as you read). Soot's been suggested. Coffee grounds. Callum confirmed that Beer Traps are quite effective. How dare they! As you can see, the Sweet Peas (above) and Peas (below) are victims of greedy vandalism. Revenge shall be ours. Slugs, can you swim? If not, I suggest you learn, quickly. In other news: Had a good afternoon. Job One was to plant another 2 metres of Little Gem lettuces, which was very satisfying. It felt like this was the first positive work I'd done in ages.
Second job was weeding the slug-ravaged Peas and the two Onion rows. Took a while, but it was time well spent and again felt positive. Bravo!


Next was earthing up the Potatoes. It took a long time, and I didn't "really" know how to do it. But now the spuds have just their tops sticking out of ridges of soil, which I believe is roughly the desired effect (above). Who knows how it will all turn out? Certainly not me.
Eventually, after a watering session with water plucked from the tidal drain (tide was going out, for any tidal anoraks reading) I headed off the plot. Much to my delight Young Callum was replenishing his egg stall, and I nabbed a dozen eggs, laid this morning, for just £2. When Tesco are charging £2.30-ish for half a dozen, at-least-a-week-old eggs, this is something of a bargain.
From there to Bwana's birthday party....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Try holly leaves - literally. pick them off a bush or tree and stick them around the plant to create a barrier that the snail/slugs/traffic wardens can't climb over (by the way I used to be a TW hahaha!) Give it a go - I have heard it works well.
p.s. thanks for your comment on my blog re Polish Boys - I am glad I am keeping you entertained.
ali