Thursday 8 May 2008

Getting All Fancy!

Well, who'd have thought it? The 2-Sox Allotment goes all girlie....

First things first though, and I behaved like a seasoned allotmenteer by adding a couple of contrasting layers to the compost bin. First in was a bag of grass clippings - harvested from the communal grounds around our flats, which had been mown earlier in the day by Roy the Caretaker. Topped off with a layer of shredded paper, recycled from where I work. Such neat layers....

Anyway, back to the subject. Top bod Callum kindly gifted us some Sweet Pea plants that he'd grown from seed but were surplus to requirements.....what the hell do you do with Sweet Peas? Google alert! I found This intriguing page, which hints that you can create something absolutely wonderful from even a tray of free plants....

Now I am extremely sceptical that an allotment virgin like me can produce anything of beauty. Or even usefulness. But I'm Giving It A Try! First job was clearing and prepping a 30cm strip of ground next to the fence (Runner Beans will eventually be homed on the other side). Lots of weeds and raking, and watering later, it was ready. I planted the Sweet Pea plants at 22cm spaces, watered them well in as a kind of "Welcome to your new home" gesture, then planted a cane behind each one. I am happy with the way it looks right now, never mind if it all works out well and becomes something good. It looks....orticulcherul.

A few days ago Callum said there had been a fox on the allotment, and pointed out a distant, dead chicken as proof. Today I found this little fellow on Michael's patch. Whether he/she died becuase of the fox, or just from wandering away from Mum and dieing of starvation who knows? It's little feet were sticking almost straight up in the air. I did listen very carefully to see if it was still living, but there were no signs, and it was very cold, so no point Casevac-ing it to the vet.

1 comment:

welsh girls allotment said...

Sweet peas are fantastic - I am doing a similar thing to you, I intend to run them the full length of the plot - they will look and smell great !!

Regarding being linked - yes please and when I reorganise my blog I will link to ou as well